Monday, December 20, 2010

Part of the Problem

Seemingly part of the problem causing the low pay and benefits for Ramp and Operations Agents at Delta Global Services is the overwhelming presence of "Casual, Part-Time Employees." At least at my station, many (although not necessarily a majority of) DGS Agents sought employment here simply to receive the flying benefits on Delta Air Lines that DGS offers or for other similar reasons such as a having part time job with flying benefits while collecting unemployment. These "Casual, Part-Timers" are typically scheduled for no more than 20 hours a week and sometimes as little as once a month through a system of shift giveaways or creative scheduling. In all honesty, although my circumstances and qualification levels as a recent college graduate caused DGS to be the only company to show interest in hiring me, I am somewhat of a "Casual, Part-Timer," and as such this is NOT a rant against such workers; they deserve fair treatment just a much as those who rely on DGS as their primary source of income. Besides, it is the fault of DGS management for seeking to cut costs through hiring such employees. Many "Casual, Part-Timers" don't even care about the money, they just want the flying benefits, including, admittedly, myself. It would have been somewhat demeaning as a recent college graduate, but if it really came down to it, I could have gone to work at certain WalMart locations for $9 an hour. But I chose to do something involving my passion for aviation and the airline industry. I suppose this somewhat proves my theorem relating to non-FAA certified positions in the airline industry: you could hire someone to clean aircraft lavatories for below minimum wage plus passenger tips and you would get a Master's degree holding individual from a dual income household who would take it just so they could get the flying benefits... But I digress. The hiring of casual part-timers is detrimental to pay levels at DGS because it means that some employees don't care about the pay. While I consider myself somewhat of a casual part-timer, the low pay really bothers me given the type of work and the pay rates of comparable positions at other airlines as well as the fact that it would be nice to get paid more for my efforts, especially considering the fact that I am furthering my professional training. Additionally, as evidenced by my station's extremely high turnover rate and the subsequent result that it is nearly constantly hiring new Agents, the flying benefits are not enough for some people. If you have a job that pays you a decent middle class wage and a side job that pays close to minimum wage with the caveat that you have flying benefits, which job do you think you would drop if you decided your life was too busy? The flying benefits are nice, but I don't think it would be the job with a decent, middle class wage. Alternately, if you were unemployed and took a DGS Ramp Agent position as a filler, I don't think you're going to stick around when that $15+ an hour job at Podunk Office Supplies opens up.

No comments:

Post a Comment